Over the past 20 years, I have been offering guarantees of various lengths, but all based on the same principles. I have come to realize that the length of the guarantee doesn’t matter as much as the coverage it offers. What’s even more important than the guarantee that comes with your dog, is the dog itself. We all want to own healthy dogs and not worry about health issues and how to validate a guarantee. We want to own dogs, not guarantees.
On the rare occasion that one of my dogs had some kind of a health issue, I have always tried to help regardless of whether the guarantee covered it or if the guarantee was still valid.
The puppies I offer for sale are examined by a licensed veterinarian, are given a health certificate and are up-to-date with all required vaccinations before being shipped and, if shipped, a veterinarian signed health certificate will be provided dated within ten days of shipping. All of my male dogs and most of my female dogs are screened for over 250 possible genetic diseases/issues through Embark. Every dog is given a through health exam on an annual basis by my Vet before breeding. Every puppy is checked by a licensed veterinarian before going home with you. If it was possible to do more to insure a puppy’s health, I would do it.
This guarantee is not meant to warrant that your puppy will not have a health problem in his or her entire life. A dog’s health depends on many different factors such as proper feeding, care, stress levels, exercise and genetics. Some of these are unpredictable or I have no influence on them. In spite of my experience, strict protocols and loving care, no one can guarantee that your dog will not have a health issue at some stage of its life. Some of the more common issues that puppies encounter when moving to a new home include loose stools, ear infections (usually yeast), and common dog parasites (fleas, ticks, ear mites, worms, etc.) Most of these things are brought on by the excitement and stress of switching homes are easily remedied with inexpensive medications. My Veterinarian screens for all of these things (except fleas/ticks) during the health exam. If you are not willing to accept that you puppy may, at some point during the first 30 days of switching homes, have one or more of these issues, please consider a different pet such a fish, hamster, or bird.
Below you will find a copy of the full health guarantee, which you will be given in writing when you pick up your puppy. Please ask if you have questions. I am here to help!
MONEY BACK HEALTH GUARANTEE….
Your puppy is guaranteed to be in good health; however, to validate this guarantee, you, the buyer must have your new puppy examined by a licensed veterinarian within 10 calendar days of receiving your puppy or by the due date of the next scheduled vaccination, whichever comes first. Proof of veterinary exam, in writing, must be provided to the seller within 10 days of the exam by mail, or email, If this is not done, the health guarantee is VOID and buyer assumes all responsibility for the health of the puppy (puppy is purchased “as is”). If, during the initial exam, your veterinarian finds that the puppy has a life threatening, congenital defect, or Parvo/Distemper it will be exchanged for another of equal value (but color is not guaranteed) or your money refunded (buyer’s choice), provided a written letter from the examining veterinarian is brought as evidence of the puppy’s condition, and the seller is notified within 24 hours of the examination. The puppy must be returned within 2 days of the exam at the buyer’s expense. NO EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS will be made after this period. Using veterinary services from Banfield Animal Hospitals, PetSmart, VCA, or PetCo voids the contract in its entirety. Any documents from any of the above or their affiliates are not acceptable for purposes of the health guarantee. If, within 5 days of arrival, your puppy is found to have ear mites, Guardia, coccidia, worms, kennel cough, ear infection, or eye infection, Royal Puppy Love will reimburse the buyer for reasonable and customary veterinary medications to treat such conditions as outlined on the Royal Puppy Love website; subject to change.
Home for Life Guarantee: Your Puppy is guaranteed to have a home for its entire life. If, for any reason, you are unable to keep or care for your puppy, you may return it and I will find a new home. All vaccinations must be current before returning your puppy and you must have your paperwork showing that you purchased the puppy from me. No money will be refunded under THE Home For Life Guarantee.
One Year Guarantee: I guarantee your puppy for one (1) year from the date of its birth against all life-threatening, congenital disorders such as heart defects, hip dysplasia, kidney, heart, pancreas, spine, and liver problems of a severe life threatening or altering nature. If the dog dies within this one-year time frame, the buyer will pay to have it autopsied to ascertain reason. If the reason is congenital, the Seller will replace the puppy with one of equal value based on current market prices. The genetic condition must be sufficiently serious in the opinion of two qualified veterinarians, at least one of whom is selected by the Seller, to warrant euthanization of the dog. Under NO circumstances will money be refunded, or the puppy replaced until an autopsy is performed. If the puppy should die, an autopsy must be performed by a teaching institution and then and only then will the puppy be replaced or refunded at my discretion. Replacement or refund will take place only if it shows without doubt that the puppy died from a genetic defect.
5 Year Guarantee: One YearGuarantee shall be extended to a period of five (5) years from the puppy’s date of birth if the buyer elects to keep the puppy on the PawTree food recommended by the seller.
Health Disclosure: You, the buyer, acknowledge that all breeds of dogs are predisposed to certain hereditary issues and that you have researched the issues, congenital defects, and health problems that your puppy may or may not encounter during his or her lifetime and you accept sole responsibility for obtaining and paying for such care as may be necessary or recommended. You understand that the seller has disclosed only presently known or diagnosed health problems as listed on the report from the examining veterinarian. You are responsible for obtaining and paying for all future vaccinations and health care including treatment for parasites such as fleas, ticks, coccidia, giardiasis, etc.
Specific Exclusions: The following are specific exclusions from any and all warranties or assurances provided herein.
- Cost of regular veterinary care, food, medicine, supplements, training, grooming, cleaning, or other costs of raising and owning a puppy.
- Injuries or accidents, including, but not limited to, ingestion of foreign matters, choking, falls, scrapes, bumps, bruises, bug bites, human inflicted injuries, run-aways, car related injuries, injuries, and illness or injury resulting from or related to veterinary procedures (e.g. spay or neuter procedures, tail docking, etc.).
- Behavior, personality, or temperament traits including, but not limited to potty training, chewing, digging, etc.
- Appearance, size, or other physical characteristics, breed standards, or aesthetic preferences.
- Uneven bites, undescended testicles, inguinal or umbilical hernias not present at time of purchase, cataracts, and other non-life threatening or treatable disorders are not covered.
- Results of genetic testing of any kind (breed tests, coat color, size, eye color tests, ancestry/purebred tests etc.)
- Contagious illnesses that are diagnosed more than 10 days after puppy’s arrival such as kennel cough, E. coli bacteria, campylobacter etc.
- Undiagnosed Parasites more than 5 days after the puppy’s arrival such as Guardia, coccidia, fleas, ticks, mange etc.
- Allergies, cataracts and other non-life threatening, or treatable disorders are not covered at any time.
- Hereditary diseases diagnosed more than 12 months after the puppy’s date of birth.
- Any health claims diagnosed more than one year after the puppy’s date of birth if the dog is not fed PawTree food.
- Coverage is limited only to the puppy on invoice and excludes any other animals residing in or visiting the customer’s household.
- There is no guarantee of breed ability or warranty for a particular purpose.
- Hypoglycemia is not covered in any way.
Care: Buyer agrees that all medical care of the dog is at her/his expense beginning when the buyer takes possession of the dog, and during the life of the buyer’s ownership of the dog. Buyer will take all measures to maintain the health and well-being of the dog for as long as Buyer retains ownership. I, the undersigned seller, assume no responsibility after the puppy leaves for any change of mind on the owner’s part. It is necessary for the Buyer to complete the schedule of inoculations/vaccinations on-time to protect the puppy’s health, and for the guarantee to remain valid. Failure to complete vaccinations or failure to follow the medical advice of a veterinarian voids any and all warranties contained within this contract. It is expected that the Buyer will have yearly exams for the puppy including heartworm detection, fecal examinations, and all vaccinations required by your veterinarian. This contract is void if you knew, or should have known your puppy was sick and you did not seek immediate veterinarian or medical help (i.e. failure to act) or you fail to obtain annual examinations for your dog.
No breeding: Your puppy is intended to be a companion dog; do not breed your dog. If your dog is bred, this health commitment shall terminate and become null and void. Breeding of this dog entitles Royal Puppy Love to court proceedings and a minimum reimbursement of $18,000 per unauthorized breeding. Seller to sign here if puppy is sold WITH breeding/full/show rights______________________. If a puppy is sold with full rights, there is no guarantee of show quality, breeding ability, or quality of offspring produced.
YOU MUST FULFILL THESE OBLIGATIONS, AS EXPLAINED HEREIN, OR THIS HEALTH COMMITMENT WILL TERMINATE AND BECOME NULL AND VOID.
a. To make a claim, you must provide Royal Puppy Love with proof of pet insurance from any major medical pet insurance provider at the time that you make such a claim which demonstrates that the insurance policy was in force for at least six (6) months prior to the event for which you are making a claim. If the event for which you are making a claim occurred within six (6) months of your ownership of the puppy, the pet insurance policy must have been effective within 14 days of your ownership of the puppy and must have been in force and effect during the event for which you are making a claim. In the event that the pet insurance is cancelled for any reason during this aforementioned period, Royal Puppy Love’s commitment as provided herein shall terminate and be null and of no force and effect.
b. You must also ensure that your puppy has timely vet visits and complete medical records evidencing these visits shall be provided to Royal Puppy Love in the event you wish to exercise any of the Royal Puppy Love guarantees contained herein.
Additionally, we strongly encourage all responsible new puppy owners to take their puppy to the vet as close to arrival as safely possible. This will allow your vet to get to know your new puppy’s vaccine schedule and get a care program started. Getting a checkup right away helps the transition go as smoothly as possible.
- No Vaccines for 5 Days: Your puppy will arrive up to date on vaccinations. To avoid over-vaccination, you should not vaccinate the puppy within the first five (5) days after your puppy’s arrival.
- No Dog Parks and other places where puppy will mingle with unknown dogs: Puppies without a complete set of vaccinations should not be at a dog park until such vaccinations are completed. This typically occurs at 16 weeks of age.
- Regular Veterinary Care: You must visit a licensed veterinarian on a regular basis and ensure your dog receives proper health checkups and timely inoculations.
- Appropriate exercise: All dogs need regular exercise and stimulation. You should speak to your veterinarian about the appropriate amount of exercise for your breed of puppy at each stage of its life. In particular, you should be careful to avoid over-exercising your puppy during its growth period. During the first two weeks, we recommend 15 minutes of play and 45 minutes of rest per hour.
- Healthy Diet: Your puppy will arrive with information about the type of food it has been fed so far. If you plan to transition to a new food, you should do so gradually to allow your puppy a chance to acclimate to the new food. You should follow a recommended nutritional program, including feeding only premium dog foods and veterinarian approved supplements.
- Your puppy should be spayed or neutered at an age deemed appropriate by your veterinarian.
- Pet insurance: For all issues that arise, we will require proof that you have raised a claim with your insurance provider first. Only valid claims from your insurance provider will be considered valid under our Health Commitment and be eligible for reimbursement.
Holding fee: A non-refundable holding fee will be paid to the buyer to guarantee purchase from the seller. Holding fee is non-refundable but is transferable to a future litter with a one year “use it or lose it” expiration. The number of future litters is not guaranteed. The balance of the purchase price shall be paid to the seller before the dog is shipped or delivered, or when picked up. Balance of purchase price is to be paid in cash if the puppy is picked up in person or by credit card at least 7 days prior to shipping/delivery.
Shipping/Delivery Fees: All shipping and/or transportation expenses for puppy, to and from seller’s residence and, to and from buyer’s residence, are buyer’s responsibility. Airline shipping expenses may cover airfare [determined by airline carrier]; health certificate required by airline; crate, shipping kit and materials, all paid by buyer to seller prior to shipping. Courier fees only include the courier fee, no carrier.
Boarding: Should buyer ask seller to hold dog, beyond 9 weeks of age buyer must pay remaining balance in full to seller before puppy will be held. In addition, a boarding fee of $8 per day applies and must be paid up front. Puppy will be held for a maximum of up to 12 weeks of age (disclosed as the “Rehome Date” listed below) during which time seller will be responsible for vaccinations and routine health care (worming and ear mites), after which allotted time seller has the right to place puppy back up for sale without further notice to buyer and buyer will forfeit all amounts paid with no refunds given. No amount of refund will be offered to the buyer, under any circumstances, should the buyer not pick up the dog before 12 weeks of age.
· Your puppy has been Micro-chipped. Buyer agrees to register the chip in your name within 30 days of getting your puppy unless you purchased the Puppy Protection Package (then weI will do it for you).
· AKC Registration is included with the Puppy Protection Package (PPP). You will receive your registration certificate in the mail, directly from AKC in approximately 8 weeks. If you do not purchase the AKC PPP, you registration papers will be mailed to you as soon as they are received from the registry. The puppy is of purebred quality and to the best of our knowledge we find its pedigree to be true and accurate. You may order a full pedigree from AKC, if you choose.
· Health Records reflecting all vaccinations, dewormers, and other medications will be provided by the seller to you at the time you accept delivery of the puppy along with the date of the next scheduled vaccination. Seller shall also provide a copy of an exam by a licensed veterinarian which lists the veterinarian’s name, address, and phone number.
Consideration: A holding fee of $_________________ was paid on_________________ (All holding fees are non-refundable except if the seller can’t deliver the puppy). An itemized balance is shown below. The remaining balance is due when your puppy is 7 weeks old if your puppy is flying or being delivered by courier. If your puppy is being picked up in person, your balance will be due in CASH ONLY (no cash app, no credit cards, no checks), when you meet your puppy. If you intend to use a credit card, please discuss with me at 7 weeks old, and it will be due at that time with a 4% convenience fee. Oklahoma does charge sales tax. Seller reserves the right to refuse service/change mind at any time prior to delivery for any reason or no reason. In the event Seller refuses service for any reason, buyer will be refunded all deposits made to Seller.
By signing below or accepting delivery of the puppy, you agree to these terms which cannot be changed except in writing. Any dispute arising under this contract shall be determined in accordance with the laws of the State of Oklahoma. I agree that the venue is restricted to any District Court in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma. No other state laws shall apply regardless of where the buyer lives. I, the buyer or representative of the buyer, have read, understand, and agree to the terms above. Acceptance of the puppy is acceptance of this agreement in full.